making it easier to keep in touch with family and friends

Monday 25 February 2013

Learning Jounrey to ITE College West

I used to bring students on learning journeys when I was teaching and I used to accompany my girls when they went on learning journeys during their pre-school years. I learnt during those journeys too but they were catered towards children, not adults. Now I finally attended a learning journey that is catered to my learning needs lol. 
My workplace organised a learning journey for us - research fellows and research scientists to ITE College West. I have never been to an Institute of Technical Education and it would be a perfect learning opportunity for me. Whatever I learn not only can help me, it would also be of use for my counsellees too. Killing two birds with one stone. :)
We were given a presentation by the Principal of ITE College West, Dr Yek. I now have a better picture about ITE. After the presentation, we went on a tour to the different schools and their facilities - School of Hospitality (which is the niche of College West), School of Engineering and School of Electronics and ICT (two of three common programmes across the three ITE colleges). 
We were shown how students were trained at Hotel@College West under School of Hospitality and we were all amazed and impressed by the hotel rooms lol.
The student in training and her supervisor at the deluxe room, Hotel@College West
The deluxe room bathroom
The living area of the suite, Hotel@College West with its own powder room
The bedroom of the suite, separated from the living area
The bathroom in the suite's bedroom
Standing shower and bathtub
Bathroom amenities using l'occitane products! :)
Next, we were shown the facilities used to train the students in Engineering and in ICT. Money has been invested to give the students as authentic a learning environment as possible.
The students' projects (and yes, they are operational)
We continued on to the kitchens where students are trained to cook and bake (under School of Hospitality). The kitchens are huge and reminds some of us of Masterchef lol.
Our last stop was Amber@West, the fine-dining restaurant where the students are the ones who prepare the dishes as well as manage the operations in the restaurant. Considering that the students are still learning and under training, the service was good. I loved my three course lunch (option 2). It was absolutely delicious! :)
Lunch Option 1 appetiser - salad
Lunch Option 1 main - prawn pasta
Lunch Option 1 dessert - passion fruit with white chocolate mousse
Lunch Option 2 appetiser - cream of cauliflower. Delicious!
Lunch Option 2 main - pasta with chicken meatballs in tomato sauce. I loved the meatballs, tender and juicy. :)
Lunch Option 2 dessert - mango mousse cake. Wonderful balance of sweet and sour! :)
I definitely learnt a lot on this learning journey. I wish all the ITE students all the best in their studies. 
The various views of the lovely and spacious campus of ITE College West

No comments: