making it easier to keep in touch with family and friends

Thursday 6 June 2013

Day 1 in Taipei 2013

Our 3K 721 took off at 7.20am, 10 minutes behind schedule  At 7.45am, we were served our breakfast that I pre-paid for. We could choose a cold drink with our main meal of teriyaki chicken with rice. The girls walloped up their food lol. The journey was very smooth, much to my disappointment lol. 
The sun rising while waiting for departure
On the runway, with the sun rising
We are in the air :)
My pre-paid main course - Teriyaki Chicken with rice and a drink
We see land! Taipei!
We arrvied in Taipei at 11.55am, right on schedule. My mother and her friends were at the airport to pick us up and we left straight for Yang Ming Shan National Park for lunch and sight-seeing.
Lunch was at this place called Qing Cai Yuan, which is our second visit. The vegetable dishes are local produces of Yang Ming Shan. Absolutely delicious!
We went to the "Valley of Sulphur" within Yang Ming Shan National Park. Phew, it really stank like rotten eggs. :P But it is a sight to see the vents of steam, the ponds of boiling hot water and sulphur-stained rock surfaces. It was an educational moment for the girls.
Valley of Sulphur map
Boiling water + steam = HOT
Sulphur-stained rocks behind us
A stray puppy in the cordoned off area
At 4+pm, we arrived at our accommodation, Taipei Hero House (台北國軍英雄館). :) It is a value for money accommodation. If you are looking for luxurious, 5-stars accommodation, then this is not it. Taipei Hero House suits our purpose well - Family Room, near MRT (2 mins walk away), 7-11 and I-Mei Convenience Store within the accommodation, self-service laundry service, free wireless, and a restaurant. It is a really safe area too, the Military Police HQ is just opposite Taipei Hero House.
The view outside our window - a rainbow and part of the Military Police HQ
The lobby area for my floor
We rested for an hour and a half before going out at 7.30pm to meet with my mother's youngest sister who came up from KaoHsiung (she was married to KaoHsiung) to see us. We went to the Japanese Shabu Shabu restaurant where my cousins worked for dinner. We had the best service and the ingredients were really fresh. No wonder the restaurant was packed. I have not seen this Aunt and my cousins for the past 21 years lol. It was really good catching up with them.

The girls playing while waiting for the MRT train
My cousin, my mother and Juliane
A group photo of my Taiwanese family
We arrived back at Taipei Hero House around 9.30pm. It has been a really long and eventful day. My mother has planned tomorrow's itinerary - meeting with friends and family again. 

No comments: