making it easier to keep in touch with family and friends

Friday 27 September 2013

I Wouldn't Go In There

Both my girls and I have taken to watching "I Wouldn't Go In There" (IWGIT) on National Geographic channel every Friday night. At first glance, you would think that IWGIT is a typical paranormal documentary reality television series that aims more to scare you and give you more questions than answers like "Are there ghosts?", e.g. "Scariest Place on Earth". But IWGIT is much more than that, there is a little horror factor in the beginning when each haunted site is introduced but the horror would soon fade away to curiosity and the desire to learn the truth, for me that is.
What first drawn me to the IWGIT series is that the locations of the supposedly haunted places are all in Asia, places closer to home and more relatable in a way. :P 
Second thing that hooked me to the IWGIT series hosted by Robert Joe (RJ) is the way RJ tracks down the often untold but true stories hidden behind the most notorious haunted sites in Asia. RJ's working hypothesis for each haunted site is that there is something else much more real (and terrifying), beneath the tales of haunting, waiting to be uncovered. I enjoyed RJ's use of combination of gumshoe detective work and modern technology to track down what really happened at each "haunted" site. Often, RJ would discover that there is a horrifying event, such as incidents during a war, which people chose to forget or have forgotten with time and the rumours of hauntings would begin for the "haunted" location because people have forgotten what really happened there and only knew vaguely that it is not a good place to go to. 
To me, IWGIT series is good in teaching my girls that sometimes there is often more to be uncovered that what is widely believed. In other words, do not believe blindly what you are told. To borrow a phrase from a long gone series "The X-Files", The Truth Is Out There! You only have to look for it. :) The IWGIT series is also good in teaching them that evidence is important, always substantiate what they say with evidence. (Yes, occupational hazard of a researcher lol :P). For those two reasons alone, that's why I did not stop my girls from watching IWGIT and I would also explain to them as the show progressed so to correct any misconceptions.
I personally think that IWGIT series is educational (and does give a little kick of excitement - the supposed haunting) and I hope that NGC will make a second series. :)

No comments: