making it easier to keep in touch with family and friends

Sunday 13 April 2014

Sobering Moment

A dear friend and colleague's father passed away suddenly yesterday afternoon while on tour in China. Friend was frantically arranging for flight yesterday night, etc to get to China to repatriate the body back to Singapore. Due to my proficiency in both written and spoken Chinese, I was helping to read Chinese documents and summarising into English for him, checking up the contacts for undertakers in China and helping to make calls to them, etc. Friend and brother managed to fly off last night and are currently in China dealing with the repatraiting of the body. I really hope all goes well for them.
I suddenly realised that my parents are out of Singapore between 4- 6 months at a stretch, usually in Xiamen, China or in Taiwan and (TOUCHWOOD!) something similar could befall on them...
A truly sobering moment for me. Would I be able to handle it?

No comments: