making it easier to keep in touch with family and friends

Monday 2 June 2014

Duan Wu Jie's 立蛋

Today is Duan Wu Jie 2014 (端午节). Happy Duan Wu Jie. :)
I found out today that Singaporeans (both young and old) have not heard of one cultural/ traditional activity that is pretty popular with children in Taiwan and China. It is "Stand an Egg"  or 立蛋. My mother who is a Taiwanese introduced my brother and I to this activity when we were young. Now my girls are playing standing an egg at 12 noon on Duan Wu Jie, especially if they happen to be at home. If you are successful in standing an egg, you are supposed to be lucky for the year. :) 
I am really surprised that hardly any Singaporeans know about this cultural/ traditional activity carried out on Duan Wu Jie. It is quite sad that Singaporean Chinese are losing cultural/ traditional knowledge. :(

No comments: