making it easier to keep in touch with family and friends

Monday 30 March 2015

I Didn't Cry

I have always thought of myself as a Singaporean because I was born in Singapore, studied in main stream schools, excelled under the bilingual policy, sat for all the high stakes (PSLE, O & A levels) assessments and even worked in a ministry. However, I am the first generation Singaporean in my family as both my parents hailed from different birth countries, China and Taiwan.
My identity/ loyalty as a Singaporean is questioned today because I didn't cry for Mr Lee Kuan Yew. I respected Mr Lee and am thankful for all that he has done for the country, including the tough calls he had to make. I felt great sadness in his passing but I didn't cry. Everyone mourns differently. To me, what's more important is celebrating his life, remembering his contributions and carrying on his legacy in one way or another to ensure the continued survival and success of our nation for the future generations of Singaporeans.
I didn't cry for Mr Lee but I am still very much a Singaporean.

No comments: