making it easier to keep in touch with family and friends

Friday 14 August 2015

Out of Order

The lift at NIE Block 5, next to the Sports Hall broke down with me inside! It was about 10:15am. I was more amused than anything actually. I waited for about a minute before I pressed the alarm bell. And even then, I didn't realise that I was supposed to press and hold the bell! Lol. Soon, a voice came through the intercomm. 

Voice: Hello? 
Me: Hello. 
Voice: Hello? Hello?
Me: Hello. Can you hear me?! I am stuck inside the lift.
Voice: Oh ok. I will send help, ok? 
Me: Thank you. 

I waited and started wondering if I should take out my laptop to do some work. About 3 minutes later, the voice spoke again. 

Voice: Hello? Are you still there?
Me: Yes, I am STILL here. *thinking to myself, "Geez, where can I go?!"*
Voice: Help is coming to rescue you. Don't be scared. 
Me: I am not scared.  

I continued waiting while describing my situation on Facebook. I had quite a few friends and colleagues who responded to my Facebook post being very concerned for my safety and "scolded" me for facebooking when I should have called for help! Haha. Actually I didn't think about calling for help with my phone. About 5 minutes later, I heard some noise outside the lift door. I could see someone trying to pry the doors apart. I could actually see the technician/ electrician through the 2cm gap when he shouted through the gap.

Guy: Hello? Hello? Are you there? Are you there? 
Me: YES, I AM STILL HERE. *thinking to myself, "Er, I can SEE you and you CANNOT see me??!! What am I? Transparent?!* 
Guy: Wait ah, wait ah. Coming to rescue you!
Me: Ok, I am not going anywhere. 

Goodness, I think the guy sounded more panicky than I was. While the guy was outside, I started thinking if the lift crashed from B2 to B4 (because it was jerking up and down) where should I stand and at what point should I jump up to avoid impact! Hahaha. Finally, the lift doors opened at around 10:35am. 

Guy: Anyone in there?
Me: Where do you think I can go?
Guy: (standing at the lift doors) The lift is very dangerous.
Me: (at the lift doors). Yes, can I go out now?
Guy: The lift is very dangerous. Need to repair. 
Me: Yes. BUT can I come now?!
Guy: Yes, can come out now. 
Me: Thank you. 

After that exciting and amusing ordeal, friends and colleagues were coming up to ask about my well-being. Thank you all for your concerns! Really appreciated it. 
At 3:34pm, the lift was still being repaired. 

No comments: